"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

mini road trip


Yesterday I drove to Manhattan, Kansas (the "Little Apple") for an appointment with Jay and Barbara, owners of the Strecker-Nelson Gallery. I'm kind of embarrassed to say I had never been to Manhattan before. It's got a very quaint downtown (the town itself was recently noted as one of the Top 10 Places to Retire by Money Magazine) and the surrounding landscape is really beautiful (it's in the heart of the Flint Hills). I didn't even get over to the Kansas State University campus, but I've been told that it's really nice.


The Strecker-Nelson Gallery is the oldest commercial art gallery in the state of Kansas. The emphasis is on midwestern artists. It's upstairs in a building on the main drag and is a gorgeous space with hardwood floors dating back to 1908. Jay and Barbara were wonderful hosts, treating me to lunch at the very cool Harry's Restaurant in the historic Wareham Hotel. They also spent a great deal of time looking at my work and decided to add my Streetcar and Shredded work to their inventory!


One of my favorite area painters, Lisa Grossman, is also in the stable of artists there. I feel honored to be in her company.

2 comments:

Stacie Pottinger said...

that is so exciting! I can't wait to see the shredded series and streetcar series displayed somewhere! Way to go!

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

Thanks, Stacie! I'll let you know when a show is mounted. Hopefully sometime in 2011.