"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, May 23, 2010

patricia caviar

PC20

"While working with the doll I experienced an increasing awareness of the child, its creator and this ultimately dominated my creative, decision-making process. I felt the doll was perfect and complete as envisioned by the child. My efforts in adorning her became attempts to seamlessly integrate rather than infuse, so the original beauty of the doll would take center stage.


I have been the art instructor for the Heritage Center at the Jewish Community Center for the past ten years. My students are a very vital 65-95 years young. They do not let limitations stand in the way of creative growth and living. I have been humbled and inspired by these remarkable people. Most of my career has been spent in positions where I was able to use my love and experience of fine art, among them: art consultant for the city of Portland, Maine, art therapist for the Cumberland County Jail, art instructor for underprivileged children in an outward bound winter camping program and youth after school drop-in centers, free-lance commercial artist, high school art teacher."

Patricia painted tiny animals on the edge of each leaf. That and the use of false eyelashes (some she had saved for years and years just waiting for the right opportunity to re-use) are just some of the details I love about this doll. Patricia is another of the artists who will be featured in the film to be shown on the night of the fundraiser!

No comments: