"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, May 15, 2010

amy meya

AM15 18" x 15"

Amy is a self-taught ceramic artist. Her education includes living and working in the Netherlands for five years, as well as extensive travel throughout Europe. She has studied at the Kansas City Art Institute, and she was a two- year exhibitor at the Buyer's Market of American Craft in Philadelphia.

A one-woman show at the Langman Gallery in Pennsylvania and numerous other solo exhibitions in the Kansas City area have put Amy, an artist who is definitely interested in folk-art, on the map.

Her work is simply lovely and joyous. (And, she is too.) Her current interest in bird imagery evolved through watching sparrows, cardinals, and goldfinches visit sunflowers outside her window with her young children, through regular walks in the woods and camping.


Here is an excerpt from Amy's blog. I think it sums up the excitement and positive response her work is getting.

“My dream gallery, The American Folk Art Museum in New York re-ordered work from me, that is a good sign that this could be a lasting relationship.

Haven Gallery in Austin, Tx is going to take a fair amount of work from me for the holidays, mostly larger work, and I am really excited about that. Although I haven't been there personally, I hear it is an amazing gallery.

And this month Phoenix Gallery in Lawrence asked me to be the featured artist! So, things are going ok."

I'll say.

Amy's piece is pretty unbelievable. I keep going over to the dining room table where it sits just so I can keep looking at it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are just fantastic. Each and every one. Congratulation to the artists and to Change the Truth, and to the kids who made the dolls in the first place. Great and inspiring work!
Laura C.