"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, October 29, 2009

team 3: meet sara


“Hi my name is Sara Hjalmarson. I am a Kansas City native, but am currently living in upstate New York, where I am a sophomore at Colgate University. I’m double majoring in Political Science and Economics. On campus when not in class or in the library, you can find me spending time with my Gamma Phi Beta sorority sisters, mentoring young girls in the area through the FIVER mentoring program, or on Lake Cazenovia at sailing practice.

I am unbelievably excited to be a part of team three! I first learned about Change The Truth two years ago when Gloria’s work with St. Mary Kevin’s was featured in our local newspaper. I then became involved as a volunteer for Change the Truth at friend-raising events. Last summer, I worked as an intern at a consulting firm for not for profits. My salary plus a generous bonus from my summer employer, Pelofsky and Associates is funding my trip.

Gloria and the impact she and the other Change the Truth volunteers are having on the lives of the children at St. Mary Kevin’s is so impressive. I too, hope that my visit to the orphanage will also positively touch these children’s lives. While at SMK, I look forward to helping finish recording the children’s biographies. And I am really up for doing anything to be of help, whether it be art projects, gardening or sporting events. But my musical talents (or lack there of), pale in comparison to Max’s, so I think I will avoid marching band practice!

Alternatively, I expect that my time at St. Mary Kevin will forever change my outlook on life and make me truly appreciate how lucky I am.

I’m so excited to meet all of the kids and to form lifelong friendships! December 18 can’t come soon enough! “

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sara
Thank you for making wise, caring, loving and supportive decision to use your salary to fund the trip to Smk and Uganda, i strongly believe that your life looking is not going to be the some.It will a pleasure to all of us as, we shall be sharing unconditioned hugs, love and care in the course of the trip
Chief peter

Stacy VDT Benson said...

Sara, I am so pleased you will be joining Gloria and the team on such and important and amazing adventure. I am also quite jealous! I will look forward to reading about all you have learned. Congratulations on making such a big difference so early in life! Fondly, Stacy