"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, June 29, 2008

view from above

I have always lived on the ground level.

Now we are on the 7th floor. I am looking down on people, trees, cars, awnings, umbrellas and dogs; I am looking across into my neighbor’s apartments or the reflections on their windows; I am looking up at the building that towers over me.

From my patio, I see: mountains, trains, bridges, a park, a tiny slice of the river, cranes, the streetcar and lots of people going about their daily routines. There is a great breeze up here.

Tonight it rained, and we didn’t mind a bit. We even sat on the patio to watch the storm develop and stayed for a while once the raindrops started to fall.










.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Hello, Gloria, from our top floor apartment, the fourth floor, higher than we've ever lived, my Mama and me.

I've scrolled and read and looked at the entire first page--I guess that's what you call it--of your blog and am some kind of excited. I don't know if you realized that I used to live in Kansas City--Missouri and Kansas. I moved to KCMO in 1969, met and married my dearly departed husband (from KCKS) there in 1972, had one son there in 1975 and the other one there in 1978 in Kansas City, Kansas, before we moved back to my hometown, Jackson, Mississippi. I've been a widow since 1983, Mama's been one since 1999, and we've been living together since right after 9/11--we couldn't stand to stay alone. Lamont, my older son, moved to Portland in 2000, his brother Leland moved here in 2003, and Mama and I came to our new hometown in 2006.

Sorry for the rambling, but I felt compelled to share.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving your comment.

Enjoy your "second home" as if it were your first!

Billie Mercer said...

I love the view from our terrace. There is just something about looking down and looking out that "entertains." I'm still saying.....you are gonna love your second home. AND Portland has a pretty active photo community too. You'll fit right in.