"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, June 07, 2008

silent auction

There are gong to be 75 wonderful drawings and paintings by the children from St. Mary Kevin in the silent auction Thursday night. (CTT Friendraiser/Fundraiser: Screenland Theatre, 5 - 8 PM) There are also going to be these three pieces, two by the artists who taught the classes and were responsible for overseeing the creation of the kids’ work, and one by me.



ARTIST: Jane Voorhees
TITLE: "On My Way to Africa"
DATE: 2007
MEDIUM: Monotype
SIZE: 7" x 7" framed to 12" x 12"
VALUE: $450.00

"Working with the kids at St. Mary Kevin was very special to me. How often does one know of people who have nothing that are happy, that are so grateful for the smallest thing? I took many pictures as memories of this wonderful trip and have started to do the Ugandan pieces. I have decided they must be abstract, for how else can one capture such spirit."



ARTIST: Lonnie Powell
TITLE: "Uganda, Drawing Number One"
DATE: 2008
MEDIUM: Pencil
SIZE: 10" x 6.5" framed to 19" x 15"
VALUE: $950.00

"I was part of the illustrious group that traveled to St. Mary Kevin's Orphanage in Kajjansi, Uganda in December of 2007. I was one of two artists charged with giving a series of workshops to the students of the orphanage. The Uganda experience has changed my life and my art in ways that I have not yet fully processed. I can say that the students were more polite and respectful than any I have ever seen, and I may have left my heart in Kajjansi."



ARTIST: Gloria Baker Feinstein
TITLE: "Tire Rim, Kajjansi"
DATE: 2007
MEDIUM: Archival Pigment Print
SIZE: 8.5" x 12" framed to 18" x 22"
VALUE: $400.00

"The children I met in Uganda don't have much in terms of possessions. They have no toys, for the most part, and therefore have to come up with their own creations with which to pass the time and feed their imagination and energy. It is not uncommon to see kids rolling discarded tire rims with a stick as they run down the dirt roads. This little guy at the orphanage, like most impoverished, struggling and often ill Ugandan children, has a joyful spirit that is difficult for most of us Westerners to fathom."

No comments: