"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, October 22, 2007

making stuff

I can vividly recall a conversation I had with my friend Keith Davis on September 12, 2001. I was working on my concentration camp series when 9-11 took place. The next day, I felt a strong desire to head back into the darkroom and continue printing. For some reason, I spoke with Keith that morning. I told him it felt silly, small, unimportant and somewhat selfish to work that day – to create things that seemed entirely insignificant and unnecessary in the wake of such excruciating heartache and pain and devastation. I really couldn’t see working at all again, ever.

Keith simply said, “When things around us are DEconstructing, maybe all we CAN do is attempt to CONstruct.”

Last night and today I have been following the reports of the fires in California, struck again with that sinking feeling of loss and pain that makes it hard to even think about creating something new. Keith’s sage observation came back to me, and I spent the day constructing.

A closer look seems fitting.


(This piece is 32" x 32")

No comments: