"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, December 02, 2006

december in kansas city



Several inches of snow have blanketed Kansas City. The first snowfall of the season is always a sight to behold. Kids on sleds, quiet streets with no traffic, smoke billowing from neighbors' chimneys, icicles hanging like bits of sculpture from tree limbs.. it's actually quite beautiful. I'll get tired of it after the third or fourth storm, but the first one is always nice.

I have been gratified by several events that took place during the two days that the snow fell. First, we hit the 50 mark for "Change the Truth." That is, 50 of you have asked to be included as friends of the orphanage, expressing a desire to donate clothing, money, books, communicate with a pen pal, etc. I am so happy to have reached this point - a first step, but a big one. Next, Brian, an immensely talented photographer and designer who was a participant in the workshop, has graciously offered to help out with the design work for "Change the Truth." Brian did some amazing photography in Uganda - I loved his work. I had not seen his design work until recently, and it, too, is quite impressive. He "gets" what this is all about, and I am thrilled to have him in our corner. I also heard from Tim, another workshop friend and fantastic photographer, who has offered to do what he can to try to get the songs the children at St. Mary Kevin's sing "out there" somehow. Tim used to be in the recording business (among a myriad of other interesting and admirable accomplishments) and feels he may be able to help out in that arena. I am really excited to start working with him on this project! And then, last but not least, the Jewish Community Foundation informed me that the first few checks for "Change the Truth" arrived this week. I wrote to Michael at the orphanage to give him the good news, and he is so happy!

So am I.

I wondered as I watched the snow fly on Thursday and Friday what the kids at St. Mary Kevin's would have thought of it... seeing snow for the first time. One day when I was at the orphanage it was pouring down rain, and the children were loving every minute of it, in spite of the fact they see rain all the time. They were dancing in it, chasing each other around in it, getting soaked to the bone. I imagined them running and jumping in my front yard here on 58th Street, their heads tilted upward so they could catch the snow on their tongues. I could practically hear all the shouting and the laughter.

No comments: