"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, April 17, 2016

rest in peace, johnny



I first met Zdenko (Johnny) Bergl while working on "Portrait 2000" for the Midwest Center for Holocaust Education. He and his wife, Evy, are Holocaust survivors. I photographed them both, and they became my friends.

Johnny was big and boisterous. His stomach shook when he laughed, which was often. He had colorful stories to tell, and he relished a good audience. I provided one, because he was as lovable as they come. I adored being around him.

We shared a love for photography, and he gave me his old Leica since he didn't use it anymore. He also gave me a lot of love in those huge bear hugs of his.

Johnny passed away on Friday. He was 86. Please take a moment to read a little about him here.


No comments: