"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

pirelli calendar

Everyone I know seems pretty excited about the 2016 Pirelli calendar, which has just been unveiled. It's Annie Liebovitz in all her glory, having photographed fascinating and accomplished women. Fascinating and accomplished is a departure from sexy and unclothed, which is what the calendar usually represents. Of course, I love that the pictures are black and white.

The final casting for the 2016 Calendar includes: Natalia Vodianova, Kathleen Kennedy, Yao Chen, Serena Williams, Yoko Ono, Mellody Hobson, Fran Lebowitz, Ava Duvernay, Agnes Gund, Patti Smith, Amy Schumer, Shrin Neshat and Tavi Gevinson.

Commenting on her vision and direction for the 2016 edition, Annie Leibovitz said: “I started to think about the roles that women play, women who have achieved something. I wanted to make a classic set of portraits. I thought that the women should look strong but natural and I decided to keep it a very simple exercise of shooting in the studio. This calendar is so completely different. It is a departure. The idea was not to have any pretence in these pictures and be very straightforward.”

Here's a cool quick video of the shooting that went on.
Here are a few of my faves.










And I love that Amy Schumer wanted a cell phone pic of her and Annie.



No comments: