"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

last one?

Ever find yourself minding your own business, then noticing something eerie or lovely or unusual or jarring across the room? I had to have surgery yesterday (no big deal… I'm fine). While in the waiting room at the surgi-center, listening for my name to be called, this scene presented itself to me.

So, of course, I photographed it.




When the nurse came to fetch me, I suddenly remembered why I was supposed to be nervous: what if I wake up during the procedure? What if I don't wake up at all? As the drugs kicked in, and I started floating away, I thought back to the photo I had made in the waiting area just 1/2 hour before. And then I started thinking… at my funeral Eddie would say my wife photographed right up until the very end, and then he would unveil the last photo I ever made. Everyone would break into applause, fighting back tears.

Funny where your thoughts go with a little Valium running through your veins.

Thankfully, I get to unveil the image myself. And I'm happy to report that there will be many more pictures to come.


4 comments:

Jessica said...

That's a great photo, and a very funny story! :o)

Paul Matzner said...

love the patterns and composition, and of course we're happy you will continue to make great images!

Anonymous said...

Right there with you throughout the tale. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you think, Gloria!
-DT