"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, July 16, 2012

the tie that binds

Two members of Change the Truth Team 4 returned to St. Mary Kevin Orphanage the beginning of July for two weeks. Jeff and Jennifer graciously decided to spend part of their summer vacation teaching, tutoring and mentoring the children they came to love during their visit in 2010.

I received this lovely blog post from Jeff today. It's a must read!

"I don’t remember learning to tie a tie. I’m sure it was a special time when either my father or one of my three brothers taught me, but it does not stand out in my mind. Over the years, as both teacher and coach, I’ve taught some of my students and athletes how to look smart with an appropriate windsor or half-windsor knot. For some, it is a right of passage for young men to learn how to dress in shirt and tie and for a father to teach their son the intricacies of various knots.




Until visiting St. Charles Secondary School, while here in Uganda, due to failure of my own memory and for not being a father I did not know this feeling. It was while visiting CTT sponsored students Scovia, Evalyn and Claire Faith at St. Charles I became not father of a proud son but of a proud daughter. One of the uniforms requires a tie to be worn - it does not matter whether girl or boy. As it turns out, knowing how to tie a tie presented itself as a challenge to Evalyn. It was with distinct honor and privilege I taught Evalyn to tie her tie. Once crafting a careful knot herself she proudly wore her uniform the remainder of the day. She seemed to hold her head just a little bit higher and with an even brighter smile than she had before. Evalyn’s tie has forged a bond between us I will never forget."

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

so sweet and forever a moment for both!