"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, July 07, 2012

at least one photograph a day: day one

"Why is photography, like the other arts, a kind of intoxication? And a quieter pleasure, too, so that occasionally photographers discover tears in their eyes for the joy of seeing. I think it is because they've known a miracle. They've been given what they did not earn, and as is the way with unexpected gifts, the surprise carries an emotional blessing. When photographers get beyond copying the achievements of others, or just repeating their own accidental first successes, they learn that they do not know where in the world they will find pictures. Nobody does. Each photograph that works is a revelation to its supposed creator. Yes, photographers do position themselves to take advantage of good fortune, sensing for instance when to stop the car and walk, but this is only the beginning. As William Stafford wrote, calculations get you just so far - 'Smart is okay, but lucky is better.' Days of searching can go by without any need to reload film holders, and then abruptly, sometimes back in their own backyard, photographers use up every sheet." 
- Robert Adams, Why People Photograph

My backyard for the next six weeks will be Portland.

I have decided to embark upon a summer project called "at least one photograph a day." I'll be posting them here. I'll make myself get out and work even if I don't feel like it. Even if I don't feel smart or lucky.

I went back to the fountain and made these pictures earlier this afternoon. It is good to go back and dig deeper.










Waterfront Park, July 7

No comments: