"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, June 04, 2012

a garden in uganda

One day when Team 5 was at the orphanage last year, the headmaster of the school mentioned something about a garden that was going to be planted. I had noticed that preparations were under way for some major planting in an area that used to be dirt and rocks (mud after a good rainfall).

The children began to work very hard shoveling, planting and watering.

Soon I learned it was going to be called "Gloria's Garden."

On the day we handed out the Christmas gifts to the children, the garden was dedicated. In one corner was a small space that had been cleared away for a little avocado tree. The young plant was handed to me for a ceremonial digging and planting.

Anyone who knows me knows I love avocados. Especially the ones that grow in Uganda.

So now there is a garden named for me, and it appears to be thriving. Melissa recently sent these pictures. They make me smile.


Suzanne said...

WOW, it looks great. Can't wait to see it in person in December!

Anonymous said...

So cool!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! MJ