"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, March 24, 2011

missing africa

Lately my mind has been back in Africa... more intensely than usual.

I just finished reading "What is the What" and tonight watched the documentary "The Lost Boys of Sudan." (I highly recommend both.)

Plans for the Change the Truth Friendraiser/Fundraiser are well under way. I've been focusing a lot of energy on: distributing banana fiber dolls to local artists, collecting items for the silent auction, working with the graphic designer on the poster and invitation, exploring food/entertainment options, framing the children's paintings and working on the new film (to be shown for the first time the night of the event).

It's hard to believe, but I am also already in the process of assembling the next team of volunteers; Team 5 will travel to Uganda in December.

But mostly, I've been thinking about the children. I miss them.

My young friend Tony is someone I especially miss. I've known him since my first trip to St. Mary Kevin Orphanage in 2006. He's one of those kids who simply stole my heart early on.



This past December Tony made a watercolor for me. I've been looking at it a lot lately. It's just him and me (see the camera?) in an empty, but beautiful space. I love how he's holding onto my leg.

Nine months before I get to see him and the other children again. That seems like a very long time.

No comments: