"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, February 26, 2011

isabella



The nice folks at Strecker-Nelson Gallery in Manhattan, Kansas invited me to make a doll for inclusion in an upcoming show. They had seen the doll I made last year for the Change the Truth Fundraiser and wanted a similar one.

So... doll number two was born.

It was fun to make another one; I hope she finds a good home. When I turned her over to the gallery, I was asked what her name (title) was. I said Doll Number Two? No, something better than that. OK, how about "Isabella"?

Isabella is one of the girls at the orphanage who makes a lot of the banana fiber dolls. If I make one for the June fundraiser, I think I'll call her "Rosette," another of the girls who works hard to make the many dolls we bring back from Uganda. Rosette taught me how to make the dolls; I used one of my own in the construction of this small sculpture.

No comments: