"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

another look


Back in the days of contact sheets, I labeled and filed them carefully. On occasion I would go back and look through them, concentrating on the images NEXT TO the ones I had selected in the editing process. Every now and then, those near misses gained credibility and started to make more sense to me. And so I’d print them, and sometimes I’d be really pleased that I had rescued a good picture from its previous death sentence.

Fast forward…

I try hard not to erase any of the images I capture as I am shooting digitally. Same reason. Now and then, I go back and consider the ones that didn’t measure up during my first few edits.

Sometimes, I am surprised at what I let get away.

And I give it a life.

This image was made last year in Kajjansi, just down the road from the orphanage. My current frame of mind says, “Hey, Gloria, give this one a chance.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

are you kidding?! it's incredibly beautiful. SAVE.

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate that. So nice to hear from you!