"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, May 23, 2008

update on c.

Many of you have written me to weigh in on the sad events surrounding Max’s classmate C. and want to know what is happening. All I know is what has been reported in the news, which is this: C.’s parents went to court and announced that they were unable to pay the $250,000 bail; the attorney asked that they be allowed to pay 10%. It was dropped to $150,000, but they were still unable to pay, so C. remains in jail. We saw him on the news the other night, shackled in cuffs, donning an orange prison uniform. Not a pretty sight. Nor was the clip of the dead boy’s mom clutching a photo of her son.

I was thinking back to “senior skip day” last year. Through an odd and somewhat confusing turn of events, it seemed that (at the very last minute) the time honored tradition was going to take place at C’s family farm, which is quite a long drive from Kansas City. I was not thrilled when Max informed me (aren’t I lucky to have a kid who TALKS to me?) and I quickly kicked into protective mom mode and telephoned C’s mother to get more information. She told me that while it was a long drive, there was a hospital nearby for any emergencies and besides C. would be responsible for his friends. He would NEVER drink and drive; further, he would NEVER let any of his friends drive under the influence. The lesson for all of us parents? Never say never.

Too many unpredictable confluences of events. Too much out of our control. We may think we know our kids - what they’ll do, what they’ll say, where they’ll go, and who they’ll go there with. Lord knows “trust” is what keeps us all moving forward where there are teenagers involved. But again, never say never.

I believe that just throws us off our guard and makes us look the other way.

It could be any of us in the position of asking for lowered bail, you know. It could be any of us clutching that photo, too.

1 comment:

Billie Mercer said...

My oldest grandson is 12. I'm so uneasy about the next few years. I think I understand in a way I did not when my kids were teenagers, that our family could be on either side of the fence. Trying to find money for bail or holding the photo. So heart breaking.