"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, May 29, 2008

new friend/new name


There are letters that arrive from the orphanage that warm our hearts and some that make us cry and some that just plain old make us grin from ear to ear. Melissa recently received one that did all of the above. It was from Doreen, one of the little ones who wiggled her way into each of our lives in quite a memorable fashion.

In her six-year-old scrawl, she informed Melissa that she had changed her named from Doreen to Doreen Melissa.

Coincidentally, just before that letter arrived, Melissa sent me a note telling me that part of her heart was in Africa and she really needed to return and that I could put her name on the list for the next trip.

When I think about the connections that have been made and the lives that have been changed, it really truly takes my breath away.

No comments: