"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, November 08, 2007

round two


Exactly one year ago I returned to Kansas City after my three-week stay in Uganda. Three weeks from now, I leave to go back. A lot has happened during this year. A lot about me has changed.

So now we move on to Chapter 2 of the Uganda blog posts and the Change the Truth blog posts. The beginning of the next chapter of Uganda posts will be similar to those of Chapter 1 – I just starting taking my Typhoid pills, I am loading up on granola bars, hand sanitizer and extra batteries. I have gotten my visa, made my plane reservations, arranged for pickup from the Entebbe airport. I am trying to figure out which comfy shoes to take.

But Chapter 2 will be written by a person with a changed perspective.

Those of you who have stuck with this blog from the very beginning (thank you!!) will recall my enthusiasm, excitement and anxiety from last year as I was getting ready to depart. This time around, I feel like I have a real sense of purpose - a mission, if you will. I feel determined. I feel certain of what I am doing and of what lies ahead. The relationships I established in Uganda last year have been carefully and lovingly nurtured; I feel as if I am on my way to visit old friends. And the new relationships I have been treated to during the past year as I established Change the Truth fuel my desire to do this work for the kids at St. Mary Kevin’s and remind me that I am not alone in the effort.

So many people care and want to help. Once I got the ball rolling, so many have figured out their own ways to help provide assistance to these children. I feel kind of like one of those commercials I see (too often) on TV where the mobile phone server (I can’t even recall which one) follows its client around with a team of hundreds. I feel like the team that is the Friends of Change the Truth will be behind me every step of the way on this trip. With shoulders like that to stand on, I feel very tall. With a foundation that broad, I feel very strong. Thank you for being there for me and for the kids in Kajjansi. I can't help but believe we are all richer for the experience so far.

Not to mention the team I’m actually taking with me! My fellow travelers, Carol, Lynne, Lonnie, Jane, Melissa and Ann are each so excited to plant their feet on the grounds of the orphanage and begin to do their work. Their eagerness to stand with me has been mind-boggling. I feel truly honored that I will get to travel and work in their company.

So, here we go – Chapter Two… Hope you’ll stick around for the read.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gloria,

Wishing you and your delegation all the best on your return visit to Uganda. Your story has been such an inspiration to me and my family. It proves yet again how an idea in the right hands can make such a wonderful change in the world. God bless.

jlb

Anonymous said...

gloria,

i am so proud you!

sm

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

And what a year it has been. Aitugan, Kjersten and I look forward to following your journey back, and beyond, and wish you good health, safe travels and peace.

We are all very proud of the work you have done since we were there in Uganda last year, and applaud your commitment to creating and maintaining Change the Truth. Take Care.

Love,
Steve, KJ and Aitugan

Anonymous said...

Gloria,

Thanks for the e-mail reminders about "Change
the Truth". I've asked my family to donate to the
organization instead of buying me gifts for my
birthday and Christmas. It's a worthy cause and you
are doing an amazing thing.

Thanks for sharing on the blog. Good luck and good
fortune on the trip.

Anonymous said...

Gloria,
I spoke to you a few days ago when I ordered a wrist band. I feel like I know you because through your web site I can know your heart. I was at St. Mary Kevin's last year with Libraries of Love and I know how much they need. Thank you for helping to fill that need. I'm looking forward to reading your blog about your trip. I hope you'll let me know how the library looks to you.
I will pray for your safe trip and all those who go with you.
Connie

Anonymous said...

Bless You!!

Anonymous said...

Gloria.............I had a fun time tonight at the Ten Thousand Villages open house for your committment to "Change the Truth". It was grand to meet your husband Ed and also to see your friend Jane.
Your nurse, Betts