"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, November 29, 2007

fellow traveler: melissa


I work at Operation Breakthrough, which is a daycare and family service center in the urban core of Kansas City, MO. My job at Operation Breakthrough is to coordinate our School-age Program and Betsy’s Kids Program. Operation Breakthrough has over 674 children (ages 6 weeks-17 years old). Operation Breakthrough offers before/after school care and holiday care for over 300 school-aged kiddos.

Working with the school-aged kids is definitely a high-energy job…there is never a dull moment during the day. I am constantly amazed at the talents and capabilities of our school-aged children, and honestly, sometimes I get very sad at some of their personal circumstances. Several children who attend our program are homeless, in foster care, or from working poor families, who are struggling from paycheck to paycheck. However, most of the times when you walk through our doors, there are more smiles and hugs than any one person can fathom.

One of the primary reasons for my travels to St. Mary Kevin’s in Uganda is to engage with the school-aged children there. I can only imagine, like our very own children here at Operation Breakthrough, there is an abundance of smiles and fun to be had in spite of the extremely tough, painful circumstances that have brought them there. It is my eventual hope that bridges can be built between the children of St. Mary Kevin’s Orphanage and the school-aged children at Operation Breakthrough. Many of the children have similar interests, such as jewelry making, singing, and dancing. Our center’s children appear very curious about life in Africa; and I am hoping that African children feel the same about American children. It would be so wonderful to connect these children and their two worlds.

While I am having the adventure of a life-time in Africa, my son, Antwain, will be staying here. Antwain is 8 years old and the light of my life. Antwain is excited about my journey to Africa (although he is disappointed that I will not be sleeping with the elephants). Antwain and I enjoying playing football together. I also enjoying reading in my free time.

No comments: