"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

elizabeth


As I continue to work on the 2008 Breast Cancer Awareness calendar, I relish meeting such strong, courageous women - women who are willing to share their faces and their thoughts with those who are newly diagnosed (this is who the calendar is distributed to). Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Elizabeth, a striking and kind woman with a good sense of humor and who is exactly my age. I liked her right off the bat, and we made a nice connection. I love her portrait and what she had to say about having cancer:

"When I felt ‘the lump’ I knew exactly what is was. All I needed was the diagnosis, to have it removed, and to begin treatment. In the beginning it was all so unreal. Sometimes, even now, I find myself thinking I can't believe it. The sky has never been as blue as it is now. The stars shine brighter than I can ever remember them. In all honesty I can't say this is what I needed to change my life. I can think of a million other experiences I'd prefer. Since it did happen, I value life, and I know that I will never take it for granted as I did before. I want to love more, to feel less fear and enjoy the time I have to the best of my ability. Oh yes, and I promise, God, if you'll let my hair grow back the way it was, I'll never wear a hat, scarf, head covering again!"

Elizabeth

1 comment:

A Reason to Paint said...

You are a beautiful woman Elizabeth; it is people such as you who show us how we can really live.