"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, February 20, 2015

ruby and uganda

magic
red dust
shadows
voodoo
prayer
woods
memory
ghosts
loss
burden
demons
secrets
healing
poetry
injustice
heat
rituals
evil
redemption
faith
horror
beauty
power
ripe
dark
pastoral
haunting
lush

I am reading a book called Ruby by Cynthia Bond. Above are just some of the words that describe where my head has been while turning the pages of this powerful tale. At the same time I have been reprinting some of my early Ugandan work.

I can't deny - and have actually embraced - the sensibilities that have been aroused by the place and the people portrayed by Bond… by the smells and the sounds and the rhythms and the thick east Texas air that simply remind me, more often than not, of Uganda.

So often music and literature profoundly impact the work I happen to be making. I love that.



































No comments: