"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, November 15, 2012

then and now

As Team 6 prepares to head to Uganda and into the arms of the children at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage, I am spending some time reflecting on how much change has occurred (for me AND for the children) since 2006. That's when I first visited east Africa. That's when I first stepped foot onto the grounds of SMK. That's when I fell head over heels in love with 180 kids  I had never laid eyes on before. That's when my life began to head in a new direction.

That's when life began to change for the children, as well, because soon after that trip, they began to acquire many new and generous friends: the supporters of Change the Truth.

I won't be going to Uganda in December with the team. But that does not mean my heart won't be there.

Part of my reflection today has included looking at old photos of some of my most cherished young friends who call SMK home. I am one lucky woman to have met them and all the others.

They have taught me how to be a better person.

I don't know that I can ever repay them for that.

Tonny, 2006

Tonny in his marching band uniform, 2012

Boy-Boy, 2006

Boy-Boy, 2012

Claire, 2006

Claire on the saxophone, 2012

Issy, 2006

Issy and Team 5 member Dawn Taylor, 2011

Joanne, 2006

Joanne passing out pen pal letters from the US, 2012

Kato, 2006

Kato playing the melodica, 2011

Nicholas, 2006

"Nicky" and Gloria, 2012


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love seeing these! - Susan

Anonymous said...

Mama Gloria, these pics are so touching .indeed u are an angle sent from heaven to SMK. thanks for lighting a candle.u ,ur family and change the truth family have inspired me so much.u will be missed on the 2012 CTT team.but knowing that ur spirit will be here with us comforts us. remeber we love n need you.much love Joan Faith