"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

robert cornelius award: twins

I learned today that I was awarded one of the "runner up" prizes for the Robert Cornelius Award. I entered the competition quite some time ago, and with all that's been going on in my life, I had forgotten about it. I was pleasantly surprised and happy, of course! Not only had I forgotten about entering, I had absolutely forgotten what I entered. Turns out I had dipped back into the twins work I did in 2004 - 2005, a body a work entitled "The Space Between." The piece the juror, Stephen Perloff, liked is this one.


The funny thing is that lately I've been thinking about revisiting the twins work. There are two ideas floating around in my head. The first is to simply pay another visit to the twins I photographed and do an updated portrait. The other idea, one which would require a lot of research and travel, is to track down and photograph sets of identical twins, one of whom has elected to have facial plastic surgery for whatever reason, and one who has not. There actually was one such set of twins in my original project, and I was so intrigued by this. My thoughts about it have clearly lingered; I'd love to explore it further, both from a visual and emotional point of view.

If you happen to know of a researcher who might be able to help me locate twins who fit this bill, or if you know of any such twins who you think might be willing to be photographed for this project, would you please contact me?

3 comments:

SusanA said...

Congratulations Gloria, what a nice surprise. Gorgeous shot too.

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

Thanks so much, Susan!

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

Got my researcher! Will let you all know how this project unfolds.