"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, June 25, 2010

matters of the heart

In the village of Buyingi (Rakai district) October, 2006

Little did I know in the fall of 2006 when I made my first trip ever to Africa that my life would change.

Well, a lot of people told me it might. I guess I didn't understand exactly (or even vaguely) what that could mean. The concept was way too abstract.

What changed was the way my heart beat. I was warned about the possibility of getting malaria or a bad sunburn or an upset stomach or crashing on a motorcycle taxi. But no one warned me about the heart thing.

I have devoted myself to helping 180 children who live at an orphanage. How could I have known this was going to happen? More than four hundred others have joined me in this endeavor. How could I ever have predicted that?

When I stop to think about it all, it really does take my breath away.

Thank you for taking this journey with me. I hope to see you tonight at the 3rd annual Change the Truth Friendraiser/Fundraiser.

No comments: