"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

leslie mark

LM04 11" x 8"

“These dolls totally spoke to me the minute Gloria sent the first photos out. I spent four years in Burundi (Central Africa), which neighbors Uganda to the south and west, during my early teens. The dolls are similar to ones Barundi children made and played with, though I better remember other toys like bicycles and trucks made from old flip-flops and wire hangers.

My artistic background is in the two dimensional realm: paper and calligraphy and books. I studied art through high school in Africa and England. In college, I stumbled on typography and calligraphy and took a job with Hallmark Cards in Kansas City in 1984. I have had my own freelance studio since our first child was born in 1989. I dabble in various media, but I am still primarily a two dimensional, paper person. Even so, I think this little fella channeled my ‘inner doll’ and is evocative of my African childhood!”

Leslie and her son, Josh, have been friends of Change the Truth from day one. Josh is part of our pen pal program and has developed a nice relationship with Nicky over the years. They both love soccer and drawing. The boys exchange artwork through the mail. One day, they hope to meet. If you look closely at the banner the doll is holding, there's a photo of Nicky. Leslie told me she actually made the doll in his likeness, imagining how happy he'd be riding around on a moped! I love all the accurate little details: "St. Mary Kevin" is written on the back of the bike and on the banner; the doll is wearing flip-flops, a beaded necklace and shorts. Leslie said she made the nappy hair by making lots and lots of knots in yarn.

Nicky would absolutely love it!

Here's Leslie as a toddler in Switzerland with her own doll, and here she is in my front yard.



2 comments:

Max F. said...

Hey it's like a boda-boda!

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

you're so right!