"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

uganda in the news

“When Uganda makes the world news, it tends to be big. Twenty years ago it was the first to register an AIDS epidemic, which decimated the population in some areas of the country. Related to and coming after this was the ABC campaign of the First Lady, Janet Museveni, with the emphasis clearly on the A (Abstinence). Now it is a Bill before Parliament, entitled the Anti-Homosexuality Act (2009), introduced by parliamentarian, David Bahati, a born-again Christian.”
-Martyn Drakard, Spero News

This proposed piece of legislation has been garnering worldwide attention of late. By now most of you have probably read or heard about it. I am in the process of getting as much information as I can, and I will surely learn more about it when I go to Uganda two weeks from now. Some of you have emailed me with questions about this. I, too, have concerns. As founder and president of Change the Truth, a non-profit organization that provides assistance and opportunities to Ugandan children, I know it is important that I stay informed on this issue. I will update you as things unfold.

Read a Reuter's article here and the rest of Drakard's article here.

No comments: