"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, February 14, 2009

happy valentine's day


This is a photo from my archives. It was shot ten years ago today when I was in Oaxaca, Mexico taking a workshop from Mary Ellen Mark. She and I both agreed the picture would not have worked if the heart shaped ballon hadn't just cleared the thick, black line on the wall as it was floating up out of the boy's grasp. Gotta love and thank those photo goddesses!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's beautiful.

I have starting photographing the various heart-shaped things I find in my world, that seem to just show up in my life. Most recently: a heart-shaped clump of sugar in the sugar bowl. I had to get the camera before I got the cup of coffee, but such a heart-filling experiencing! I save the heart-shaped sugar lump until the next day, my birthday, and watched it dissolve slowly. It felt like a special gift....a special message. All the heart-shaped appearanced do. :)

--KB

Anonymous said...

Beautiful image. I love the boy in the lower right corner.

-JM