"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, January 09, 2009

kids helping kids

To be inspired is to witness how selfless and generous young people can be.

Sarah (Team 2) from New York has shown us just how dedicated and caring a young woman who is about to become a Bat Mitzvah can truly be. Since our trip, I have heard from two other Saras; one from Chicago who has decided that Change the Truth will also be her Bat Mitzvah project and a college student from Kansas City who is applying for a grant to spend a month working at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage this coming summer.

Just when I thought it was the month of Sara(h), I received this email from Jenna, a high school student in Kansas City.


"Gloria: When you came to class and told us your story I truly was inspired. For my final project I donated my large beanie baby collection to Change the Truth. As I was collecting all my beanie babies my mom was constantly asking me if I was sure I wanted to give them all away. At first I have to admit I was a little sad. I felt as though I was giving away a part of my childhood. But I then realized that these beanie babies only hold memories from when I was a young girl and those memories are forever with me. Why should I be selfish and let these beanie babies collect dust in my closet when a child, who has nothing, could also make wonderful memories with the cuddly creatures? Donating the beanie babies to Change the Truth gave me an understanding as to what charity is actually about. I realized that I received so much more than what I gave away to the children. I felt as though I was truly going to make a difference in a child's life. It was a feeling of great fulfillment and gratification for the soul."

We can all learn a lot from the younger generation.

No comments: