"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

studio visit

Okay, time for a little good news…

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art photography department’s curatorial team is coming over tomorrow to look at my work! Between jetting around the country tracking down the finest and most rare daguerreotypes, authoring books and articles on the history of photography, hosting dealers from around the world, mounting major exhibitions and lecturing on every aspect of the medium, they are admirably making time to explore what’s going on their own backyard (and it is a rich one here in Kansas City!) Though this anticipated studio visit has caused an unsettled stomach and a tiny (not) bit of trepidation, I am honored that I have made the list of photographers whose work will be viewed.

Preparing for their visit has prompted me to revisit older bodies of work, which, of course, is always challenging. Does the work still hold up? What was I thinking? Is there room in the recycling bin for these? Whoa, can I ever rise to this level again? All these reactions and more.

Here are some examples of the projects I have chosen (at least for the moment… I’ve changed my mind a hundred times) to show tomorrow. They are in chronological order.


One Square Mile (my neighborhood)



The Space Between (identical twins)



Shredding Project



Uganda



Sea Series



Lawrence A. Jones Funeral Home

No comments: