"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

kertesz

The critic from Durango mentioned in his review of my show at Open Shutter Gallery that my work has been influenced by Andre Kertesz. I’ve not heard that before, and I consider it a compliment. I certainly love his work and have looked at it over and over again throughout the years. I couldn’t help but think back to the time I had the distinct pleasure of meeting him. He was in Kansas City in the early 80’s for a major exhibition at the University. I hung a smattering a pieces in my gallery in honor of and in conjunction with that show. He came to the gallery for a small reception; he enjoyed the small exhibit and met some collectors.

I couldn’t resist sharing this snapshot made in front of my gallery. That’s baby Abbie in my arms! It looks like Kertesz and I are making a nice connection, but all I recall is that I was just so honored to be in his presence. It was a very special day, to be sure.


“André Kertész is recognized as one of the world's leading photographers. During a career spanning more than 70 years, he created images of ordinary life, in a style without pretension, using small-format cameras almost exclusively. As his instinctive formal sense became more assured, he retained the vital curiosity which first prompted him at age 18, to make a visual record of his daily life.

Working in a variety of modes, from portraits to still-lifes to nude distortions to photo-reportage, Kertész consistently captured the telling moment and the overlooked but expressive details of his subjects. He had an enduring influence upon world photography, particularly in France where he was a mentor to photographers such as Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Capa, and Brassai. Cartier-Bresson has acknowledged this achievement: ‘Whatever we have done, Kertész did first.’

Acclaimed a master by his peers, critics, and curators by the late 1930s, Kertész's reputation suffered during the 1940s and 1950s as his commercial work in America distracted viewers from his European achievements. Since 1963, however, the full range of his mastery - fragile, intimate and gently ironic - has been undeniable. Exhibitions and a stream of books and monographs during the past 20 years of his creative life have re-established Kertész in his rightful place in the photographic pantheon.”
- MastersofPhotography.com

Here are some examples of Kertesz’s work.









No comments: