"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

open shutter gallery


About a year ago the director of a photography gallery in Durango, Colorado contacted me to see if she could do a show if my work. No brainer. “Yes! And I’ll drive them out myself and stay for the opening. I love Durango!”

Well, I don’t think I can attend the opening, but thirty-four silver gelatin prints from my body of work entitled “Convergence” will be able to, thanks to a huge crate and the nice people at DHL.

The work spans about thirty years.

This is the earliest piece, made when I was a college student. It is part of s series I did on Appalachian bluegrass musicians.


This is the most recent image in the exhibition. It was made while Eddie and I were on vacation in Key West, Florida.


Most of the images are included in my book, Convergence, which is still available from Amazon, Photoeye and my basement.

It’s been great fun to go back through these photographs and assemble them for the show. All of them were made with my good old friends - my Hassleblad camera and FILM! I rarely work with film and silver paper anymore, as I have been crossing over to digital, but let me tell you, these prints are so gorgeous! My printer, Jesse DeMartino, did an incredible job of honoring my original intention with each and every dip into the developer, stop bath and fixer. (I still have my darkroom set up, and it is a wonderful one, but sadly I haven’t used it for some time now.)

Anyhow, if you are in or near Durango, go have a look. The show opens February 1 and runs through March 12.

No comments: