"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, June 03, 2007

uganda comes to 58th street


Michael arrived laden with gifts from Uganda. He gave me two beautiful handbags his mother made from bold African fabrics. I did not know that she was a tailor. He brought me baskets the children made, as well as lots of lovely, new beaded jewelry. He presented me with some small banana fiber purses created by the kids and two balls the kids made for play (in lieu of plastic or rubber balls with which most of our kids here in the US are familiar). The latter are made of plastic bags wound up tightly together, covered with banana fiber and tied up with strips of the same.

In the afternoon, about forty friends of Change the Truth gathered in our back yard to listen to a presentation Michael made about the orphanage. It was a good turnout, we had lovely weather, and I think everyone learned a lot.

It's wonderful to see Michael. I feel more inspired than ever to return to Uganda.

No comments: