"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, May 14, 2007

nice e-mail

I received this e-mail recently and loved what it had to say:

"I am sure that you get all kinds of emails from all
kinds of people - old and young - who have been moved
by your work. I am one of those many. If you were to
meet me, you would see a pendant of Africa hanging
around my neck. I lived in Africa as a girl, and ever
since have known that I will return there someday with
my own family. Africa is a place that you breathe in,
and it never leaves your lungs. Growing up there left
an impression on me more than any other part of my
life. Somehow, even living in Brookside, I long more
for those red dirt streets.

As I walked past the Leopold Gallery today and saw an image of Ugandan children, I
was stopped in my tracks. It felt like coming home -
looking into almost familiar eyes and settings. I was
pulled inside and looked further. It was so close to
what I was surrounded by in my childhood I almost
could have touched it. I have always dreamed of what
I would capture if I were to return with my family, as
an adult artist, and that dream was resonnating in
your images.

So, all of this to say thank you. I am not sure what
it was that drew you to Africa. But I was amazed and
blessed to be standing in the middle of a gallery in
Kansas City and having my heart go home as I looked at
each image."

No comments: