"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, September 29, 2006

a lucky woman

That would indeed be me.

Not only do I get to do what I love every day of the week (lucky) and take trips like this to Africa (very lucky), but I am surrounded by amazing friends and family (extremely lucky). I have received the most wonderful e-mails and calls over the course of the past week. I’ve heard from my tenth grade history teacher, Ellen, who never fails to cheer me on when it comes to my work and new projects. I’ve gotten an array of good book recommendations, a proposal from my niece, Elayna, to send children’s books to the orphanage, offers to carry my camera equipment while in Africa (!!) and just sweet, supportive, enthusiastic greetings from many. One that struck me as especially beautiful is from my dear friend, mentor, mother-figure, and true inspiration, Joan. This is what she wrote:

"Your e-mail sent shivers thru me. It sounds so incredible, and you are so the right person. I wish I could carry your camera equipment for you!!! I have no suggestions. We were on a safari and that is different than what you are going to be doing. I loved the light and the vistas as well as the animals, and of course the people are beautiful and stately. It is a harsh life yet they seem to find some peace within themselves. Of course, color is everywhere, and maybe that helps with the cruelty they see and suffer. Music is powerful, and maybe you can bring some music into their lives. Women respond to women, and music is a wonderful way to talk. I am so thrilled for you and I wish you good luck."

There’s that word again - luck.

My very special family and friends serve as a constant reminder of just how much of it (luck) does come my way. For all of this, I am very grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're lucky because you're from Kentucky!