"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

magic?

I recently started reading The Life-Changing Magic Art of Tidying Up, a small, beautiful book by Marie Kondo. Many of my friends have told me that adopting Kondo's art of tidying has truly changed their lives for the better. Magic!

Reading this book dovetails perfectly with two things that are going on in my life right now. The first thing is kind of big. Pretty big. Well very big, I guess. Eddie and I have decided to move to Portland! For eight years now we've been toying with the idea and traveling back and forth between the City of Roses and the City of Fountains. We've lived in the latter for 35 years now. So, yeah, extraordinarily big. Much more on this to come. 

The other thing is that I've been revisiting my "Estate Sale" pictures for various reasons. I've discovered some that I initially edited out of the project that I really do like, and I've trimmed off the Hipstamatic-imposed raw edges, which I really don't like so much any more. (Click here to see the work featured on Lens, the New York Times photo blog.)

So, while I begin to prepare for the move, which will involve more downsizing, de-cluttering and simplifying (and the magic involved therein), looking back at the treasures with which I parted five years ago gives me some comfort. I survived it, and I'll survive more of it - maybe I'll even be better off with the dramatically changed-for-the-better life my friends tell me I'll have! 











No comments: