"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

ctt team 9: meet jackie



2015 marks my 22nd year teaching photography to undergraduates in Tennessee.  When I first started studying and practicing photography, it was for the joy of self-expression and the making of art.  These past twenty years have proven that my truer passion is for teaching and mentoring students in this ever-changing medium. 



As an Associate Professor at Middle Tennessee State University, I teach B/W Film Photography, Digital Photography, History of Photography, Alternative Photography Processes and the occasional study abroad program.  In May 2014, I shared my first visit to SMK with two senior photography students, Elizabeth and Rebecca, who collaborated with a local dance instructor in teaching a playful hybrid of ballet and traditional African dance.   I have two left feet, so I enjoyed photography walks with other students.  I’ll be bringing a cargo load of hugs and love from Elizabeth and Rebecca, who dream of returning to SMK one day.


I’m looking forward to seeing everyone, and especially look forward to reconnecting with everyone and sharing stories and dreams this wonderful time of year.   Of course, we’ll be making pictures, and the best ones will be the memories we make to carry in our hearts. 



No comments: