"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, April 04, 2013

early works

Opening Friday night at the Newspace Center for Photography in Portland is an exhibition called "Early Works," a show curated by Laura Moya and Laura Valenti Jelen. It features work taken by about 30 photographers - photographers who are grown now but who made pictures when we were young.




I am happy to be included in the exhibit. The picture the curators chose was taken when I was about 5 or 6. My family had recently moved into a new house on a street that was just being developed. Ours was one of the first houses that was built, so we had a bunch of empty lots to explore. I had to leave behind my boyfriend, Harry B., who lived next door, and my best friend Mary Louise (Weezy) who lived across the street. They came over to my new house to play a few times, but then our friendships kind of petered out. In this picture, they are standing in the empty lot next door to my family's new house. They really got dressed up to come visit me. They were making funny faces for the camera. I don't remember if I asked them to do that or not. Since we were 5 or 6, that's probably just what we thought was good for a picture. I don't know whose shadow that is down in the right hand corner. I love how the hat mimics the hat that Harry B. was wearing. I'd like to think I knowingly included that shadow in the corner of the frame. I doubt it. But here's to happy accidents. They still work for me today.




I hadn't seen Weezy since high school, but I did see her this past fall at our 40th high school reunion She's a teacher and as nice as they come.




I haven't seen Harry B. since we were very, very young. I googled him today. He's a sound and picture editor in LA, who's won some rather prestigious awards and worked on some well known films and TV shows. I found this picture of him. It's shocking to see the face of someone you haven't seen in over 50 years. I used to sneak kisses onto those cheeks.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gloria – I LOVE this! Your blog entry is just wonderful! It's so fun to see images of "Weezy" and Harry B. now. Thank you for sharing this with us!

We'll raise a toast to you tomorrow night!

Cheers,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Very nice! It's so interesting to see these early images. I love yours.
-JM