"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, September 02, 2010

change the truth update

Melissa is in Uganda!! Her first communication arrived in my inbox this morning. I still can hardly believe that CTT has reached this point. Melissa will officially begin her job as social worker and liaison in a few more days. For now she and her son, Antwain, are easing into their new lives in Kajjansi.

Along with her letter, I am including a few photos from over the years.

“Dear All,

Has it really been a week since leaving? I am literally having my first alone moment since we arrived. The girls are dancing, Antwain is outside with some of the workers for our home, and I am savoring the relative silence - knowing it will be interrupted at any moment.

This week has continued to be such a blessing. We have enjoyed the week of holiday with the kids at SMK. There have not been a lot of activities, but somehow the days are passing quickly with dancing, music, games, and general merriment. Within the walls of SMK, life can be very simple... it is only on the outside that the complications of Uganda exist.

Melissa and Joanne, 2007

So... the standard greetings are: ‘How is America? How is Mama Gloria? How is (team member)?’ I am really quite amazed at the ability of everyone to remember every CTT member. There is really never an individual left out, which is so awesome.

Despite all of his protests, Antwain is again flourishing in Uganda. He has really rolled with many changes this week. He has rejoined daily activities with his friends, began drumming with the other boys ‘officially’, and has complained only minimally. He has found many new Ugandan foods to enjoy, although he is still opposed to eating porridge. He smiles and laughs with such freedom here that it really touches my heart. His boys are a good group... he particularly enjoys Francis, Rodderick, and Moses. Moses is growing deaf, so Antwain is very inclusive and protective when the others may not want to include him. And Antwain officially knows more Lugandan than me (again despite his protests that he would not learn).

Antwain, 2009

After spending three days searching for a school that is affordable and realistic, I have enrolled Antwain in Taibah Junior School. It is only 3km from Kajjansi, so he will take a small taxi bus from the Marketplace daily. The school has a Ugandan curriculum, but they are beginning an International Program in January. Antwain will start on Tuesday, and we had a good visit at the school yesterday. He is as excited as he can get with any school.

Ivan, Antwain, Roderick and Francis, 2009

Our house should be completed within the next couple of days. Tentative move-in day is Sunday. When I find my camera cord, I will send photos. It is much more modern and larger than I had envisioned. The painter is almost completed with the painting (the girls assisted me in choosing my colors). We have electricity (as long as the village does) and plumbing. The plumbing was a surprise to me... we have a faucet (with only cold water) in the bathroom and kitchen, and then we have a shower (hot water not probable). In addition there are outlets for me to connect a stove and fridge. The house connects to my office. We will go to Kampala on Saturday to shop for furniture. At that time I will also have a meeting with the Kavulus to discuss more about specific elements of my job. Despite my prompting they have wanted me to enjoy this week.

Melissa and Tina, 2008

Although there are many highlights to share already, there are two favorite parts of every day so far. One is having dinner at night with my sons. Henry is back from school, so we find a place by the Big Boy dormitory to have our dinner together and chat about all subjects. It is typically dark or growing dark so the stars are shining high above us creating a cocoon where I feel only we exist. Henry shares stories with Antwain about Uganda, and Antwain asks questions of Henry with such reverence. I sit back and thank the Lord for the blessings of these boys in my life. Then the other highlight is bedtime with the girls. They have taken to sitting or laying at various angles to my bed (which is a twin, so we are very crowded). I have tucked some of the little girls into bed and wished them goodnight. Then the other girls tell stories, sing songs, ask questions, and just enjoy being together. The same occurs when they realize that I am awake in the morning. (They tend to grow louder when they grow impatient for me to awaken.) There is an open affection and gentle teasing amongst the girls, but they are all accepting of one another. I really do love my girls, and I will miss sleeping with them (as they will me).

Melissa and Henry, 2009

Thanks to the Kavulus I have an adaptor for Internet at my home. As long as we have electricity, I should be able to call or email from the comforts of my home or office. Once we are moved in, I will write more frequently. Right now I just want all of you to know that we are safe and very happy.

Much love to you all,
Melissa”

No comments: