"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, September 25, 2009

hide & seek: picturing childhood

A new exhibition opens today at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City, and I am honored and happy to say that one of my photographs is included! If you live in the area, please visit the museum and check out the show. It was curated by April Watson and Jane Aspinwall. It includes lots of iconic images, as well as some recent acquisitions by lesser know photographers (like me.) It's a dream come true for me to have one of my pictures hanging on the walls of such a hallowed space.


You may recall my post about the studio visit Jane, April and Keith Davis made some months back. This is when they made the decision to purchase the piece. "Boy with Ball, Kajjansi, Uganda." They eventually made the acquisition when the photograph was later shown at the Leopold Gallery.

I am in amazing company in the exhibition. It is humbling to have a piece hanging alongside works by Keith Carter, Sally Mann, Emmet Gowin, Helen Levitt, Andrea Modica, Wendy Ewald, Judith Joy Ross and Ralph Eugene Meatyard. I have studied with both Carter and Modica, and of course, have long admired the work of Levitt. Meatyard is a photographer from my home town, whose work has always inspired me. There are lots of connections here, all of which only add to my feeling incredibly flattered (and kind of stunned) to be included.

In conjunction with the exhibition, I will be speaking about my work at the museum in January. More on that to follow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gloria,

I can understand why the boy, the ball, the sheets and you are all flying high!! Congratulations and well deserved.

Max F. said...

mom, that is so awesome! congratulations on this great achievement!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Gloria!

--KB

Anonymous said...

I saw the exhibit today. It's great. Congratulations on being included. You should feel very proud.
-JK