"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, November 16, 2008

change the truth trip: meet randy


Like Tom, I learned of Change the Truth through Lynne Melcher. Hearing first hand from Lynne about her experience in Uganda with SMK orphanage and then seeing the final product of her involvement with the moving documentary was all it took to make me want to join in this amazing effort.

I am a CPA by profession, but have many other interests I hope can be put to good use in Uganda. In addition to offering guidance on financial matters as needed, I am very interested in augmenting the medical services to be provided by Tom through my interest in sustainable gardening, healthy diet, exercise and spiritual awareness. I believe that in our culture we rely too much on medicine and drugs for our physical healing.

I look forward to the hard physical labor involved in working with the earth, play time and sports with the children, discovering new foods, learning about the nutritious benefits of the Ugandan diet and having time for meditation and reflection about the needs of these children, their helpers and each of us as volunteers.

I hope to spend my preparation time learning what I can about gardening in this part of Uganda and the Ugandan diet.

The attached picture is me doing one of my favorite things – discovering new coffee shops wherever I go - this one was in Belize. For those of you who know me, of course I will bring my own coffee cup and reusable utensils. :) It is important to me that we all do what we can to minimize our impact on the environment.

No comments: