"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

change the truth trip: meet lynne


For many years, I worked as an artist and textile designer for large corporations (Target, Crate and Barrel, etc). I had the pleasure of traveling to many developing countries, and loved getting to know the people with whom I worked. They welcomed me into their villages and into their homes. I was far more interested in the people, and their stories, than in the design work I was doing.

Eventually, I realized that I needed more from my work. And I knew that somehow, I could do more WITH my work.

Having always been interested in the art of documentary filmmaking, I decided to finally take a workshop. In July, 2007, I traveled to Cambodia, and focused my work on the issues of “street children”. What started out as an isolated experiment quickly turned into so much more. I took workshop after workshop, eager to learn as much as possible about this powerful and creative medium.

By this time, Gloria had already returned from her first trip to Uganda, and had established her foundation, Change the Truth. Her photographs and stories about the children whom she met at Saint Mary Kevin Orphanage were beyond moving. Her love and dedication to them was contagious.

As Gloria began planning her first mission trip to Uganda, I was filled with excitement for her, and for the unknown possibilities that lay ahead. I so wanted to join her and the team of artists and social workers who would be traveling to Saint Mary Kevin Orphanage to help the children heal emotionally, through art and play therapy. Yet I wondered: how could I help, what role could I possibly play in this mission?

Although I only had six months of documentary workshops under my belt, I nevertheless had a lofty dream. And Gloria, who has always supported my artistic development, welcomed my proposal with open arms. Without delay, I had the honor and privilege of accompanying this team as “the documentary filmmaker”.

Once there, I quickly fell in love with the children, and was more committed than ever, to telling their stories.

Once there, I witnessed the artists and social workers as they passionately, and compassionately, worked with these children who have survived unspeakable traumas.

I soon discovered that “the human spirit is stronger then anything that can happen to it”. Chinese Proverb.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since my return, I haven’t stopped thinking about the children whom I met: the pain in their eyes, yet also the smiles on their faces; their ability to love, despite everything.

I only hope that the film I ultimately made, did them justice.

It is now October, and I am preparing for my next trip to the orphanage. I will once again, have the honor and privilege of accompanying this team as “the documentary filmmaker”.

This time, I want to focus my efforts on the themes of giving, and of “kids helping kids”. But it’s not just about us, the Change the Truth team, giving. It is equally about the many ways in which the children at the orphanage give back to us. It’s a circle, really. A very full circle.

I only hope that the film I ultimately make, will do them justice.

No comments: