"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, July 25, 2008

lynn

Lynn has had a mastectomy, radiation, chemo and now reconstruction. She told me her family was very instrumental in helping her get through it all. I could relate to that, as can so many other survivors. But when she told me about her dog, I knew that’s whom she ought to include in her portrait. Lynn doesn’t have human children; her dogs are her kids.


“My dog Cinnamon was very important to me. For two months before my diagnosis, she would curl up with me and lay her head on my left breast. Then she'd just look up at me, like she was trying to tell me something. Later, she was very ill, and I asked her to just hang on to help me through treatment. She died the day after my last chemo. She hung on just to get me that far.”

No comments: