"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

birthday

Today is my mom’s birthday. If she were still alive she’d be 84.

I guess I started taking pictures of her when I was around seven or eight. I didn’t take many of her alone then; this one of her standing by the car is of the few I can find. I remember that she didn’t like having her picture taken – she’d pose patiently for a couple of seconds, then dismiss the whole thing with an “Oh, Gloria!” and kind of shoo me away. As I got older, I think I took her picture mostly when she wasn’t looking. When she did gaze at me and give me the gift of a portrait, I recall lingering in the viewfinder just to study her a bit longer. She was really beautiful in my eyes - much more elegant and stylish than I’d ever hoped to be. Later in life, with her snow-white hair, porcelain skin, clear blue eyes and long, tapered fingers, I thought she was striking.

early 1960's

1972

1999

2002

the day before my mom died, 2005

No comments: