"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

seeing red



The purpose of this entry is twofold: I’d like to talk about my new shoes, and I’m going to attempt posting a photo.

Those of you who know me and see me on a regular basis know that my shoe inventory consists of several pairs of shoes - one brand and two colors only. I wear brown Dansko clogs or boots one day, then switch to black Dansko clogs or boots the next, then back to brown, back and forth, and back and forth. I recently made the decision to purchase a new pair of shoes for my trip – a pair of really comfortable walking shoes. And I decided to step out of the Dansko box.

Now I have been working on a project for the Heart Association the past few weeks. I have been making portraits of women who have survived heart disease. I am asking each woman to wear an accent of red for the sitting. For the final print, I desaturate the image to black and white, leaving the red intact. Now you may wonder what this has to do with my shoes.

I bought a pair of red shoes!!

I have been seeing red everywhere. I grew up with dogwood trees in our backyard and have, for the past nine years, admired and loved the three dogwoods in our front yard on 58th Street. This year, for the first time ever, I have noticed bursts of red berries all over one of them. Have I missed this display all these years?

I noticed that a single red impatiens had popped up out of the ground in an area where we planted none this summer. Go figure.

Anyhow, now I will try to follow the directions Abbie gave me to post a photo – my new red shoes…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Red Shoes . I have a wonderful pair and when I wear them I feel about eight and half, which is 50 years younger than I actually am. Everyone should own a pair of red shoes !